Adding plug on porch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajr4997378

Reaction score
Hello. I'm planning on installing a gfci outlet on my front porch. There is a plug on the front exterior wall of my living room that has the porch light tied into it and that is it. It is a 20 amp circuit. The location where I want my porch plug will be in the same stud bay as the interior receptacle. Can I pigtail off of this plug with 12/2 wire or will I need to make a homerun to the panel. I really don't want to run a new line to the panel because I only have 15 ft of 12/2 wire and the panel is on the other side of my house. The only thing plugged into the interior plug is a table lamp.

Last edited:
You need to add your location. In Canada outdoor receptacle circuit needs to be on a dedicated circuit. They can not be on the same circuit as indoor receptacles or lights.

Yes, your approach is fine. You might consider a water-tight outdoor box just to be safe. You also know that not other GFCI can exist on that run or you will get conflicts.

Getting ready for the Spring? :D

If you get a conflict between two gfi just bypass the first one with pigtails to the line side.:rolleyes:

I live in PA. The indoor outlet is a standard 15 amp outlet. I went ahead today and installed a watertight outlet box on the porch. I pigtailed off of the indoor plug with 12/2 nm wire and wired it to the line side of the gfi. Tested it and everything works fine. Thanks everyone for your help!

Back