Repairing flexible clear polyurethane spiral hose

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edlank

Reaction score
I have a chipper/shredder/vacuum that has a 10' by 6" spiral clear polyurethane hose for vacuuming flower beds, that has split about 1' from one end. I saw the receipt from the original owner, and this hose is expensive, and now, I see similar hose for about $18/foot. It obviously leaks, but with the spiral reinforcement, is still intact. I doubt duct tape will last long, but can a better repair be made? I do not see any products for this purpose, but can imagine it should glue well with some material.

that has split about 1' from one end.
Can you replace this section with rigid pipe/duct without losing too much functionality?
Does one end of the hose need to be more flexible than the other end?
Will 9' of hose work?

Last edited:
wack off the tear and reapply the hose?

duct tape was the first thing to come to mind, although might need to reapply during the mowing season.

If you haven’t seen gorilla tape check it out. It’s like duct tape times 10on strength and stickiness.

You may also be able to sew the split using dental floss as thread. Epoxy the knot when you're done.

If the polyurethane ripped between two revolutions of the wire coil without anything to cause high local stresses, I am pretty sure suturing it will cause very high stresses at each suture puncture site, and it will rip out at each hole. I think that polyurethane is inherently bondable with the right solvent or adhesive, so I am trying to determine the right chemistry for a repair.

Good luck with the glue, I would get a foot or so and a couping for it and just change out the bad peice.

Back