Is Quote Too High?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AYColumbia

AntiHandy
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm glad I found this place as I know nothing about HVACs. I hope it's all right to ask if a quote I was given is reasonable or too high.

My HVAC was installed when the house was built in 1992 so it's almost 20 years old. I was thinking of replacing both the heat furnace and AC unit together. We have local contracters who claim to have a very low price if the two are purchased together.

I don't know if it's normal for the quoted price to include everything, i.e., equipment, labor, taxes, etc. but this quote does include everything.
Local Contractor said:
Trane 2.5 ton XR15 A/C and XR95 furnace: $6675
Whole home bypass humidifier: $400
The humidifier info they sent me is for the Healthy Climate HCWB3-12 or HCWB3-17. The quoted price is way over on these. My house is just over 1,600 sq. ft. and 12 model prices I saw ranged from around $127-$185 so $400 is steep.

I really appeciate any input. Thanks very much for your time.

Sounds about right but just get some more prices to make sure. Just make sure there comparing Apples with Apples.

Thanks for the feedback. Does it sound about right for normal pricing or discounted pricing? I only ask because they're claining a big discount if purchased together. I will get a couple more quotes.

Unless HVAC is more expensive in your specific area, that price seems about 30% too high. At least in So Cal, it would be. As Joe recommended, get at least three quotes, and make sure they have no idea what your previous quotes were.

Thanks, yes, I've got another contractor coming out on Wednesday and will schedule one more after that. 30% is a really big chunk. I'm in the mid-west in the middle of Missouri. I'd have a hard time being convinced that the prices here are higher than in Southern California (So Cal, right?). ;)

Latest posts

Back