I hate urethane

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
It seems no matter what I do I never get that glass like finish I've read about when applying urethane. I have tried everything I know of but still no good. I wind up with brush marks. I would love to hear ideas or tricks please! N

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Its about application methods ... If you are using a brush, it should be new and high quality. The best way to get a smooth finish is spraying, so you are already behind if you are brushing.

Do you heat your poly? On furniture, I bring a pot of water to a near boil, hen remove it from the heat. I barely crack open a can of poly and place it in the pot to warm before starting. Not sure about the temperature, but after a couple of minutes, I remove the can and start applying to the flat surfaces. Be careful not to over load it because it will be runny. Smooth, light brush strokes needed going the length of the piece. Don't "tickle" the work because it will leave marks. When the poly starts to cool in the can, replace the lid slightly and re-warm it.

Let that surface dry overnight or two days. Lightly touch sand with 600+ sandpaper. Blow the surface with compressed air. Wipe surface with tack cloth to remove all dust.

Repeat next coat. Now, turn the piece on its side and do the same with the same process. Then do the other side.

I did a bedroom set for my first daughter this way. She is grown up with little kids of her own now ... and still has the set in storage for her daughter (just born). It remains glassy and smooth.

If that doesn't wind your clock, try this approach using automotive finishes for the ultimate look:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/article/high-gloss-finish-made-simple.aspx

Great idea warming it up. Thanks villa.

I’m going to try that as well. Thanks for the tip Villa.

Well here is a picture of the small accent table for my daughter. While I am satisfied with it I would change a couple of things. First I tried the varathane stain and poly all in one. NEVER AGAIN. This stuff is awful. Also I would warm up the poly as Villa suggested. ImageUploadedByHome Repair1396378071.499550.jpg

Ha ha that's great. I think I also have your Power Rangers sheet too.

Back