do we need cold air return registers in every room

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumat

Reaction score
hello all,
i'm putting in a new furnace in my house, and i'm reversing the flow of the old system. previously, the house had one huge supply vent in the center of the floor plan and a cold air return vent on the oustide walls of the living room and the two bedrooms. i want to reverse this system and make the cold air returns the supply and the huge vent in the center of the floor plan the new cold air return. do i need to have a cold air return in every room? the house is small (only 900 square feet), so i'm wondering if the one large vent will be enough for the return. i appreciate any insight.

As long as you have air flow so the air can circulate from each room to the return it'll be fine.

And your doors dont seal tight. If they do seal tight consider cutting the bottoms a little for return air flow.

For cooling it will work harder and you will have a little less dehumidifier in the exterior rooms.

And your doors dont seal tight. If they do seal tight consider cutting the bottoms a little for return air flow.

For cooling it will work harder and you will have a little less dehumidifier in the exterior rooms.

Back