log home stair issues

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stairman

Reaction score
Customer has big (2") differences in her stair treads which are actual logs split in half. My solution was to replace log treads with new ones that I would modify to "fix" the rise and run issues. She has no room for new stringers, so, I figured I'd work with what she has. My question does anyone have a supply source for anything like this? I've done nothing but stairs and rails for twenty years, but never anything like this. Not sure about material. Maybe douglas fir, or white pine?? I should be better with woods, but all I know is finish oak, maple, cherry, etc.
Again anyone know possible materials for a log home. House is located in S. Jersey.

Stairman

P1300030.jpg

P1300031.jpg

Welcome Stairman,

How bad is this set of steps overall? Do these stairs need more steps to meet code? How many steps are there in total and can the rise be averaged to work with that number of steps?

Perhaps these steps could simply be retrofitted with new treads shimmed to the correct rise? Of course you would use new risers to cover the shimmed spacing but you could still leave most of the rough sawn faces exposed.

In my experience, log home suppliers tend to be expensive. Perhaps check with sawmills or logging companies in your area. They would also be able to identify the wood and get a closer match. Just make sure it has been kiln dried well.

hth, Doug

Check out loghome.net lots of info and suppliers. Another one is loghomeliving.com is another, also Hochstetler Milling (no web site phone # 419 368 0004) is a place in Ohio where I have got supplies from. Could be some of the same type in your area.

Latest posts

Back