Stick doors and cracking tile--foundation or subfloor problems?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khr

Reaction score
Folks,

I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if I've got the wrong category. I have a smal '60s brick ranch with a raised foundation. The full and 1/2 bathroom are back to back. The full has started showing cracks in the tile as though the tub is sinking. Now the half is staring to gape between the shower walls and base. I've checked under the house but do not see evidence of water damage or foundation damage. At this point, I just want to know "who to call" that can help me with a valid diagnosis.

What folks sometimes think is settlement of a foundation, is actually just the wood shrinking.For example, I have seen a house where the floor joists shrank a 1/4 inch each, and on the 3rd floor there was a 3/4 inch gap at the floorboards and baseboard. All wood shrinks and doors go out of plumb and pipes pitch backwards.
Sounds like you need to caulk the cracks with a silicone caulk and monitor it for further issues.
If the gaps get bigger than 1/2 inch, you may have more serious problems.
Good luck.

Shrinkage usually occurs after a new house is built. You say this is a 60's house? If there are any leaks getting behind the walls your framing could be rotting and losing it's structural integrity. This doesn't happen overnight but since you said it was built in the 60's this might be the case. Check for termite damage also.

Back