Tiling over an old tiles floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't tile over ceramic. I'd bust them up and get them out. Do the job right the first time, ya know?

It will work fine if you will use larger tiles on top old. I've tiled over tile and it worked quite well.

I agree with CharlieO. I am not aware of any thin-set that would adhere to the ceramic tile surface. It might be possible if the tile surface was prepped properly, but this is a lot of work, like scarifying concrete before painting.

If you crack tiles while prepping the floor, then they have to be removed. Again more work. Plus, you don't know the condition of the subfloor. Yes, it is a lot of work to remove the ceramic tiles, but you will be much happier with the end result in the long run.

IMHO ... It's much easier, and removing tiles can damage your floor and walls, creating even MORE work than a simple installation.

Nobody is mentioning about adding a membrane so you won't get cracks. The contractor that built my house didn't use that and my tile is cracking from the foundation slab cracking. I was told if they installed a membrane it wouldn't have cracked. :mad:

Back