Solar tube lighting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are in the process of getting our roof done and before we move on with it, we have decided to install maybe 3 solar tube lighting. Can anyone here help me with some pointers? How about brands and sizes? Any information will be mostly appreciated.

Thanks. Be well

Miriam

I've installed three of these - two 14" and one 10". First, let me say that the 14' variety puts out so much more light that I would not waste my time on a 10" again.

The brand I installed were these from Home Depot:

ODL, Inc. 14 In. Asphalt Flashing Tubular Skylight - EZ14SCANH at The Home Depot

I found it is important to carefully caulk the ceiling ring to the drywall to keep it from leaking cold air, but leave the lens ring free to remove for cleaning and inspection. I also insulated the outside of the tubes to prevent condensation. Tape the joints between tube sections carefully with the supplied aluminum tape.

Installation time was just a few hours each, doing it by myself on an existing roof. The clear plastic cap has a reflector built in and it is important to orient it correctly.

I love mine, as they completely transformed my dark second floor. I installed one over the sink in a smaller, dark bathroom and it provides natural light for the mirror which is reflected all around the room, making it a cheery space. I believe these might qualify for energy credits (less lighting needed).

I've installed five, two different brands. I cannot recall the brand of the best, but on the inside, it was shiny like foil - way shinier than the other brand, let in way more light. Be safe, GBR

I have a 14" model in an upstairs bedroom - works great

What about a venting skylight?
Lets the heat out & if on the 2nd floor allows the house to cool
I'll have 15 in my house when I'm done

Back