getting rid of mice in an apartment

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jacobc

Reaction score
Hello,

We live in an apartment in a city setting. Today my wife and saw a mouse run across the floor and under the couch. I wasn't able to find the mouse later, or any obvious hole or droppings, but clearly we have mice.

I'd appreciate suggestions for getting rid of mice, preferably in such a way that they don't come back. I know this has to be done quickly. Any thoughts on what traps work best? What about bait and poison? Has anyone successfully used natural and humane methods, e.g. strong smells such as peppermint oil?

Thanks a lot!

If I had mice, you bet your butt I'm gunna be killing them, humane or not. Once they multiply, you can use all the peppermint oil, incense, love beads and humane meditation and it won't work. Spring traps, sticky bait and poison may be needed (unless kids and pets are involved).

First you need to find where they are getting into your unit, then you need to be working with your landlord because if they are in your apartment, they are in other apartments also. Killing any in your apartment won't end the issue.

I have tried the live-catch traps, but unless you check them frequently, you're just going to starve the thing to death...slowly......and a lot less humane than a neck-snapper. Also going to have to figure where to release it to.
Nope, just poison the sucker. The Tom-Cat bait blocks work well, and they come with a bait station that is resistant to children and pets. The downside of that is you don't know where they will die. If it's under the furniture or in the wall, it could get smelly. Your landlord (as Beachguy said) should be required to provide an exterminator.

We do a lot of restaurant work. Mice are always trying their best to out do the roaches ....

1. Mice eat through drywall and wood. They will find a way to food.
2. They find familiar paths and can detect changes such as traps because they are alert
3. We use sticky traps baited with walnuts and a touch of peanut butter. The younger mice love it. Put them along the walls and in front of sources of food. When they get caught, crush them to kill them because they can pull away and come back to haunt you.
4. Mature rats are strong enough to get out of sticky traps. Use full size spring traps.

Do not get all PC and squishy. This is a contest for survival you must win.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001O7AYO0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I had mice in an apartment once. Peppermint oil in the cabinets, pantry, and under the kitchen sink worked pretty well. We also laid out some spring traps and caught one that way--but it was, uh, messy.

Other than that be super tidy, don't allow food anywhere except the kitchen and always clean up your kitchen as well as you can after every meal.

Well, there are many ways that can help you to get rid of mice from your apartment:

• First of all, look for the gaps in the walls, check out the pipes in your areas that will allow them to enter the house.
  • Then, you can use some eco-friendly products which do not cause any kind of pollution. Just spray it simply by getting rid of rats and mice without causing any type of harm to them.
  • If, you, want you can use some electronics products, which help to drive away the rats and mice very simply.
  • Also, make sure to trash the area around your apartment.

If these methods does not work then, the best option is to contact a professional rodent control Fairfield team or any other local pest control in your area who will perform rodent control methods to extermite them.

Seal off ALL voids in the unit, even front door if you have any gaps. Traps baited with peanut butter works well. Decon (the older stuff that isn’t legal anymore in CA) was awesome! Just have to deal with the decomposing body. You know when you got them though because of the smell

Poisons are designed to severely dehydrate the mice so that smell is kept to a minimum.
Sticky traps don't work so well. I've put one down just to find the next day a bunch of mouse hair on the trap (anyone seen a mouse with a bald spot on him, running around?).
I've also used spring traps but, found a mouse running around the kitchen floor dragging the trap around with him. Was actually kind of funny seeing him try to squeeze into tight places while the trap would stop him cause it was too big. A mouse doesn't have bones, they are all cartilage and can flatten themselves to squeeze through very tight openings, almost like a cartoon.
Call the landlord and have professional exterminators come out and fix the problem.

Latest posts

Back