BR30 and BR40 light bulbs

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tractng

Reaction score
Hello,

Can I use BR40 in a BR30 fixture as long as the wattage is under the manufacturer recommended? It just fits nicer :).

tony

BR40 in a BR30 fixture as long as the wattage is under the manufacturer recommended? It just fits nicer :).

If the glass bulb size is the same so you get the same amount of free air circulation within the fixture, and the lamp base is in the same base-up or base-down configuration, I can't imagine a reason why you can't.
Of course, UL and the manuf. has the final word on this.

Last edited:
If the glass bulb size is the same so you get the same amount of free air circulation within the fixture, and the lamp base is in the same base-up or base-down configuration, I can't imagine a reason why you can't.
Of course, UL and the manuf. has the final word on this.

Thanks. The guy at home depot says I can but what do those guys know :)

tony

Thanks. The guy at home depot says I can but what do those guys know :)

tony
And their bias is in the direction of selling you more bulbs. :cool:

The 40 is 30% larger in diameter than the 30; how much room is left in the fixture?

Last edited:
Hello,

Can I use BR40 in a BR30 fixture as long as the wattage is under the manufacturer recommended? It just fits nicer :).

tony
I have been in the lighting market for 30+ yrs

a BR40 bulb is 40/8ths of an inch wide

a BR30 is 30/8ths of an inch wide

so now you know how bulbs are measured

a F40T12 is 40 watts and 12/8ths of an inch wide

I have been in the lighting market for 30+ yrs

Why don't they publish the lux levels for bulbs? It's the reason for buying a bulb.
I had to e-mail the manufacturers to get lux levels for a two-tube troffer and a 75w halogen flood [1800 lux at 5'].

And their bias is in the direction of selling you more bulbs. :cool:

The 40 is 30% larger in diameter than the 30; how much room is left in the fixture?

Good amount of room. They even have a display of the br40 on the same fixture :)

tony

Good amount of room. They even have a display of the br40 on the same fixture :)

tony
I guess it'll work but if the bulb life is significantly shorter than expected you might try the smaller bulb.

Back