ABS Pipe vs Air compressor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daddytron

Reaction score
My sump-pump hose runs about 8" below grade for a distance of 30'. either it's frozen or plugged with debris.

If I brew-up some type of fitting, and connect my air compressor to the ABS pipe inside the house, how much pressure can I safely blow into it before i run the risk of damaging the pipe?

neal is right, but I think what he means is a "plumbers snake " It's a cable with a coil spring on the end that as you twist the cable in a clockwise direction it worms its way into the plug and breaks up the plug. You remove the snake by continueing to twist the cable clockwise while you withdraw the cable. when the cable comes out, you will find the material causing the stoppage in the coiled spring at the end. Repeat the procedure until you're satisfied that the pipe is clean

I thought about the snake... the plumbing in my house was done by M. C. Escher, and has too many bends than is necessary, and probably travels about 40' before it even leaves the house :rolleyes: must have been an elbow sale at the hardware store that day. I ended up 'red-necking' up a fitting to attach directly to an air compressor. I'll start with a low pressure and dial it up until the blockage is gone... or until I have shards of ABS all over my basement.

I'll keep you posted ;)

Success. Took about 30 psi
My brother ran ABS pipe through his garage for his compressor. I don't know what he used other than the cement for on to seal the joints but I know he ran it for years like that before he moved. No problems. Your idea was perfect and 30psi isn't much compared to what I've put through ABS. Of-course I was worried about it like I would be if it had been my water pipes like your speaking of.

Back