Installing outlets.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan208

Reaction score
Please forgive my lack of terminology here. I'll try to explain the best I can. My electrician installed some new wiring for our kitchen. On the boxes in the middle of the run he installed some little plastic distribution block kind of things so that there are only two wires running to the outlet (plus the ground). How do I wire these middle of the run outlets? Is it just the same as wiring an outlet at the end of a run? I'll look around and try to find a picture of what I'm talking about.

Dan

Should be the same as any other receptacle. Black wire to the gold screw, white wire to the silver screw and bare or green wire to the green ground screw.

the only thing I can imagine that your talking about would be stab-in type outlets.

we don't prefer to subscribe to such type of outlets.
rewire those outlets to the lugs and duplicate what you see for any other outlets you care to add.

What you have are the new kids on the block there. They are a alternative to a wire nut. The wires of the circuit are simply stabbed in to these, then one tail added to hook to recepticle. Treat er like any other and get er done. Good luck......

as one senior member said it can be done but i prefer not to use them..if im reading you right junction boxes should be used..

Yes, they are like what triple D described.

Another question. The outlets have two sets of screws. I know white/silver and black/gold but do I connect the wires to the top set, bottom set, or one to the top and one to the bottom?

Hello Dan:
Connect the wires to either of the screws on the same side the contacts are joined by a small tab in the middle.
Glenn

Back