Basement Bath advice...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfls45

Reaction score
What started out as a leak in our basement bathroom has now evolved into remodeling job. It needed it badly so no big deal. There was an old 32 x 32 cheapy shower stall that I ripped out to find the leak. I want to put a corner style back in but have some questions about the plumbing. In one of my pictures you can see they had a shower drain with no p-trap. I have a feeling I would have to do something different to make this work because the new shower bases don't have much room under them.

I also want to cover up the block walls and remove the wood frame next to the toilet and figure out a way to install a new sink/vanity as well. Please take a look at my pictures and tell me what you would do. I am open to any suggestions.

Jeff

Commode wall 1.jpg

Commode wall.jpg

shower stall1.jpg

shower stall.jpg

Sink Plumbing.jpg

wow - its hard to say from just looking at your pictures, not sure where to start (with my comments).

First off - there is no indication from your pictures that you do NOT have a trap for the shower. They are usually below the slab.

Next - You have moisture issues beyond the leak you had. Make sure all grading outside slopes away from the house, that downspouts extend 6' out and that gutters are not clogged and overflowing. That may address most of the moisture issues (cant say for sure)

I would then draw up a plan. It doesn't need to be elaborate. Just draw out the final space constraints and figure where stuff needs to go. There are books on bathroom planning that can help. The books sometimes even have little cutouts of the cabinets, toilets, sinks, etc to help you place them in the space.

Once you have a plan you will need to continue demolition. I would take everything out, down to the block and concrete floor. Re-do the plumbing rough-ins to the new locations as dictated by your plan, etc. Essentially start from scratch.

You may find some useful tips here Basement Finishing Series

In particular listen to episode 16 and 17, all of them if you have time.

The clean-out in wall near toilet is supposed to remain accessible. The sink vent is wrong and in the wrong place. Need 24" in front of the toilet.Some wall furring involved, some fixture moving involved. Yes, there is a new plan required, and some inventive thinking.

Here are some ideas: small bath design - Google Book Search Click on the preview books.

Be safe, G

Back