Made in U.S.A.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I buy Swedish knives because I believe they are a better quality.

I'm not a guy who buys American just because it's American, I like to buy things of quality. I like to buy things once. Doing my part to keep the landfills empty.

The company that’s not the company that has their name on the belt replied back. With a form of all the information they need to understand the problem they have that I clearly explained in the letter I sent them along with a photo. The first thing they asked for in replying to my letter explaining the problem was if I could explain the problem. Then they say if you could provide a photo that would really help them track down the problem. Lol You mean a photo like the photo I sent.

How much do you want to bet they send me the same stupid belt that broke for my troubles. I guess I super glued this one to be black I could super glue a new one to be brown and I would have my problem solved.

Chris
Your belt looks solid regardless where it was made. Two rivets and a sturdy buckle and good leather are all it really takes. In 42 years of designing things I have always found simple is best. I should have known better than to think they could invent a belt that can flip over without falling apart. It is just too complicated a task, haha. Always amazes me we can have smart phones but can’t design a reversible belt that works.

They have reversible belts like mine. Pop off the two rivers and flip it over. I looked them when I bought mine.

Well just got my confirmation 2 to 4 weeks I get a new belt just like the one that the design sucks on. No explanation sorry for the inconvenience no we don’t make them like that any longer. Just your replacement is on the way. I wonder how many I can get if they keep breaking?

Chris my old reversible belt worked like that two snaps and you flip it over. That was a good design.

Well just got my confirmation 2 to 4 weeks I get a new belt just like the one that the design sucks on.QUOTE]

So, we have to endure 2-4 weeks of you with droopy drawers or a rope tied around your waist? I think I'd ask for my money back.

Haha no worries I always believe in having a backup plan. Around here we call a good design as having Belt and Suspenders. In this case I think it is literally going to be Belt and Suspenders from here on out. :help:

Well my pants are back up tight. The company that made the belt sent me the exact same belt I bought as a replacement. The only difference is this one the entire swivel part is all solid steel. There is no longer a plastic core. I have no clue if the one they sent me was the old design before they cheapened it up or if they had a big problem and they fixed it and I got the old stock hanging out in a store when I bought it. We will see how it holds up.

They did send a nice letter telling me how much they appreciated feedback. The letter looked like it had been ran thru a copier a 1000 times.

Give us a report in a year and see if it is still holding up?

I was looking through some of my moms old belongings and found a pocket knife that was bright orange, had a nice blade and a gut knife. Obviously an old skinning knife. I sharpened it up and plan on using it. Stamped on the side is made in USA. Probably from the 60's or 70's.

I'm curious to see how it holds a blade.

I was looking through some of my moms old belongings and found a pocket knife that was bright orange, had a nice blade and a gut knife. Obviously an old skinning knife. I sharpened it up and plan on using it. Stamped on the side is made in USA. Probably from the 60's or 70's.

I'm curious to see how it holds a blade.

Normally they put the makers mark on the blade where it said USA. If the blade is blackish and not stainless you have a carbon steel blade and a good knife. Post a picture of it someone will know what you have.

I was about 8 and I borrowed my dads good Barlow knife and later he asked me where it was. I left it in the garden and I went out there and looked for hours and he was pretty upset with me to put it mildly. It was 20 years later and he was in poor health at that time and I found the dam thing working in his garden, it was a clump of dirt and rust and I put it in a jar of oil and got it cleaned up as best I could. The blade that was out was shortened up as it had rusted thru. The long blade was pretty good. I sharpened it up and gave it to him and we laughed like hell. He told me why don’t you keep it so I did and still have it and it’s not a good looking knife but it stays sharp and works.

In the last year I went thru 4 can openers and they were all junk made in China. Every time they lasted just long enough for my brain to forget when I bought it and after they stop working I go to Walmart like another sheep to slaughter and remember not to buy the one I just had but by the next piece of junk they sell. The final straw came Friday when I came home from work and opened the fridge and there was a can of tuna ¼ opened that looked like it was opened with a pair of vice grips a screwdriver and a sledge hammer and then the contents were fished out with an ice pick. I asked what happened and was told the can opener broke on the first can it tried to open. I took a look at it and it totally self-destructed broken plastic and bent and loose bits of metal.

My goal this weekend was to find a good American made can opener if it killed me even if I had to buy a 50 pound restaurant bench model. I went to a nearby town that had a cooking store and caters to homeowners but also their main business is restaurants and schools and such. Sure enough they had the big bench models, but they also had a big selection of hand operated openers. Many of these looked fairly good but still had a high plastic content and when I would flip the package over it said made in China or made in some similar place that was not USA. Then my eyes caught some packaging that was not at all slick it was actually kind of gaudy and looked like it was designed in 1950 and made from heavy cardboard not the blister formed plastic that keeps you from trying it until you get it home and hack it out of its shell. Red White and Blue package with U.S.A. marked on it in 5 different places and stamped into the tool another place. It had the guy’s name on it that made it with a phone number and a web page and email addy plus the location of his company in St. Louis Mo. It felt heavy and solid and good thick chrome over some heavy gauge steel. No plastic in the whole thing except the outer coating of the grips. If Channel Lock made a can opener this would be what it would look like I thought. For 14 bucks about double the Walmart junk price I went out the door with a smile on my face.

Got home and grabbed the mangled tuna can and she said don’t try it on that it’s mangled to bad. To both our surprise it opened the can and on the way around it straightened the can back up with very little effort cranking it.

It might sound crazy writing a review for a can opener on a home improvement page but I’m hoping this thing makes my life just that little bit easier and more fun and every time I open a can with this I’m going to yell out its tacky 1950’s name Ez-Duz-It and think there might be a little hope left for Made in America quality I remember. :usa:

Nice Can opener it looks very good. I bought my self a $20 can opener because I know cheap pays twice. It has lasted me a long time now with out any problems.

...junk made in China... I go to Walmart like another sheep to slaughter...

Your first two sentences sum it up. Why do you shop at a store that only carries cheap Chinese garbage (in spite of their marketing campaign)?

Your first two sentences sum it up. Why do you shop at a store that only carries cheap Chinese garbage (in spite of their marketing campaign)?

Good point and I didn’t for a long time. In the case of my can opener I had to drive 30 miles to find a specialty cooking store that had a selection of better products. If I need a TV I will most likely check out Walmart as there is no such thing as an American made TV. I would love to buy good quality stuff made wherever but it isn’t to be found. Most small appliances now are made to throw away. When I was a kid you fixed the toaster or the coffee maker or the TV. Did I forget to say you could fix them yourself. :(

I just got back from walmart and I almost fell over we were walking thru the cooking section as she wanted a measuring cup. We have a good old glass one made in the USA and it’s always in the dishwasher when we need to use it so she wanted a backup. Low and behold they had the nice made in USA glass one for sale for a couple bucks next to a China plastic one for a buck fifty. I was shocked to see USA in the store but not as shocked as I was when we went around the corner and there hanging next to the China junk can openers is my exact same one I posted in the first post of this thread. With its red white and blue package.

I wonder what’s going on have people finally demanded quality again. :usa:

People can only handle so much junk before it goes full swing and they want a quality product again.

Back