I wanted to put new drywall on my bedroom walls but now I might have a problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got through removing the paneling. It looks like most walls possibly all will have to be redone. Some started crumbling when I removed the paneling. I'd post pics right now but all my furniture is still obstructing the view of the walls. I've gotten an estimate from a friend when he seen the walls with the paneling still on and he said that it would cost around five or six hundred dollars. I'm willing to spend this much but I would also like to do it myself and save some money. I've done some mud work with my father on drywall so I know I could definitely do that. Just looking at these walls I'm thinking I could do this myself but once I remove the drywall I might think differently. I am probably going to need insulation and I don't know how I get that behind the lath and plaster(someone tell me). I hope the insulation isn't expensive. I'm going to get a few estimates from family friends that do this type of work.

That old plaster will just continue to crumble, its really hard to patch. If you look closley at the old plaster you will see hairs in it, they call it Horse Hair Plaster, at least where I come from they do. The hardest part will be removing the old plaster and slat boards, it just makes a mess. and forget about getting insulation behind the slat boards, it not going to work, just start fresh.

Are you referring to the drywall as plaster? Because the drywall was crumbling not the plaster

and does anyone have a picture of what a house frame looks like when you remove the lath boards?

And can someone tell me why they built houses this way. what are the benefits of lath and plaster as opposed to 2x4s? also why is removing lath and plaster so frowned upon? is it just because it's messy?

Just plain messy, get a good 3m filter cartridge respirator. Put a fan in the window and blow all the dust out.
Just take it all down to the bare studs, this will be your best way to go about insulating and sheet rocking and any other issues you may not be aware of.
Going over plaster is like putting on a bandage without cleaning out the wound. Start fresh, trust us, this results in less headaches. Many folks can insulate and Sheetrock themselves, these are the easiest of the DIY trades besides painting.
GO to the library for a FREE book on old construction if you are worried.
I have been doing it for 25 years, we can get you through this.:)

Thank you. I really feel like i can do this if you guys guide me through. Im only 18 so im a total novice but at least I have youth on my side. You guys could be like my mentors. Being a novice I need EVERY SINGLE STEP AND INSTRUCTION AS DETAILED AS POSSIBLE. Even a list of all I would need would be great. I'm going to box up all the electronics in my room and remove them. Plus my bed and furniture and then I will remove this lath and plaster once i get a respirator. Of course me posting pictures will help you guys help me.

Edit: I was just reading the lath and plaster article on wikipedia and it said after the last coat of plaster was applied and dried that the walls were ready to be painted 0_o??? You mean people just painted over this stuff? It had to look atrocious.

and can somebody tell me which one of these respirators if any is suitable for this type of work?

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=186091-429-95090-80000&
detail=&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=83346-429-95115-80025&lpage=none

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=75490-429-99485-80000&lpage=none

I'm hoping the second one is appropriate because it looks cool.

The first one looks fine, and is very reusable for other projects.
By the way, everyone needs to start somewhere.:D Just look at Square Eye...he started when he was 4 years old, probably hiting his dads table with a hammer.:D
Sorry I couldn't help it.:rolleyes: He's good.

I have the second one myself. Actually, I have 2 of them. The thing you have to remember to do with that type of respirator is to wipe them dry before you store them. I usually remove the filter cartridges and wash mine after a job. You don't want anything growing in there where you put your face! Inside the mask, there's a layer of thin vinyl, it's folded over inside to make the seal to your face, you need to make sure you wipe that out every time you wear it.

As for whacking my dad's table... I don't remember doing that, but I do remember, he would not hold a nail while I tried to whack it with a hammer :)

I just got back from Home Depot. I got a regular white respirator for when I remove the drywall and the more expensive multi purpose respirator for when I remove the lath and plaster. Does this sound like a good idea or should I just use the multi purpose one for both? I also got some nice work gloves. With that said now I need tips or directions for removing this the drywall and lath and plaster if anyone would be so kind. More so the lath and plaster because I assume drywall is pretty straight forward.

As far as the respirator goes. It's your body. If you don't mind coughing up plaster later on, then you can skimp.

As far as removing the laths and plaster.. HAMMER TIME!!

mc-hammer.jpg

And maybe a wonder bar for the nails.

Safety Glasses, a hammer and a pry bar.
Break the plaster dead center between the studs and pry the strips off or pull the nails. Be careful to not punch through and break the plaster on the other side of the wall.
A scoop shovel and a stiff broom will help with the clean-up.

I'm tearing down one wall right now. Oddly there's one area that doesn't seem to have lath and plaster it's just like a gap and then the lath and plaster starts again. Maybe this wouldn't seem odd to someone who knows more about this. I'll try to post pics tonight to show my progress.

There could be a lot of reasons for that, Maybe someone removed a door, maybe InspectorD was there cutting out human forms lol... Either way, it sounds like a patch or something was covered.
Carry on :)

The first time I did that joke, the lady told all her freinds and laughed for a week. Best job ever.:D

Things are always changing in homes, keep going, you should be fine.
You can add a few pieces of wood later to catch the new sheetrock where it is missing.

I just got through with that wall. Wow. So much work. And that's just one wall. Is it ok for the outlets that were in the wall to just be hanging? Also, will I be able to change where these outlets come out of the wall? I would like an outlet in my room to be higher. Sorry I can't post pics. I'm too exhausted.

Your outlets should be ok as long as you don't break the insulation. Treat them gently and when you set them in their final positions, fasten the wire so it doesn't get a screw through it.
This is your best opportunity to do any electrical upgrades you want. Grounded circuits, new switches, wall sconce lighting, whatever... Now is the time

Someone suggested i get the wiring done. I just want this room done. NOTHING ELSE. I dont want a electician to be pushy and try to do my entire house. I don't have the money for that. Also, I left a couple lath up still because I'm trying to decide the best way to remove them. They are right at the point where the wall meets the ceiling and the ceiling doesn't need to be redone so I don't want to damage it. I guess I will just carefully wiggle them out. It's just hard because I didn't know where the wall stops and the ceiling starts Also you mentioned insulation. If you're talking about about wall insulation these walls had none so I'm definitely installing some. If you're talking about something else, sorry.

edit....This wall has my bedroom door on it. Now my door doesn't close completely. I was doing a lot of banging around the door. Maybe I moved the frame or something.......... :/

The wiring has insulated conductors, the jacket that the wire is in. Make sure it doesn't get damaged :)

I'm averaging a little more than a wall a day so i should be done with the demolition by Thursday.

Latest posts

Back