Croquet

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Admin

Reaction score
Does anyone else play croquet?

We're starting to cool off, but I need to go buy a new set. Mine did not hold up well this year, of course it is 20 years old.

We played it all the time as kids. We had our own version of the rules I think but mostly we played the backyard form where you have a peg at both ends and do a figure 8 thru the wickets and first one around wins. Scoring strokes for going thru a wicket or hitting another’s ball.

It gave a reason to mowing the grass mostly.

I don't know, it's just something about a game with the word wickets in it. Makes me think we should be taking tea, crumpets and saluting the Queen. :usa:

You count strokes just like golf. Oldog; you just like those games that were invented because nobody knew the rules of cricket and rugby. If you have to have the monarchy, the British have it made; absolutely no power and she pays taxes too.

Sounds to me like this is becoming a “Sticky Wicket”.

Even though the term is a cricket term not croquet.

Now pass the crumpets please.
:eek:

Like most things in life I play by my own rules. Most have to do with how much smoking and drinking you're allowed.

If you have never played on a real croquet course, you never can understand the game/war. It is like playing on a pool table (very, very slightly slower), but has rolls that are impossible to see and the grass has grain that affects anything moving slowly and most balls never seem to stop.

When I played once, I found out, the despite being a good golfer, I was not smart enough, devious enough or mean enough. Nobody complains or yells, but bites their tongue before doing something really dumb.

Dick

Interesting. I'll have to see if there's a club around here so I can get on a real lawn.

All I remember about this game is how you smashed the other kid's ball into the tall grass or mud puddle. Then they cried, or they came after you with their mallet. Or they got you back. Sometime's you smashed your own foot instead! All in all, I guess it was the best thing going for us if we did not have enough kids to play baseball.

Austin -

Watch out for the older people. - They can chew you up and spit you out neatly.

Dick

All I remember about this game is how you smashed the other kid's ball into the tall grass or mud puddle. Then they cried, or they came after you with their mallet. Or they got you back. Sometime's you smashed your own foot instead! All in all, I guess it was the best thing going for us if we did not have enough kids to play baseball.

I tried to knock someone out of the court once and nailed my foot. It hurt something awful. Typically when I play with my brother it's full contact. He has years of being the little brother to take out on me.

Austin -

Watch out for the older people. - They can chew you up and spit you out neatly.

Dick

I know it. I'm always looking for a challenge, and with the exception of my age, I am an old person. I enjoy people watching, playing board games, and talking about how things were different when I was a kid.

Why, back in the 80's it's all anyone did.

I remember those better. Should have said 90's.

Before we had a TV we listened to stories about the old days. Some you herd so many times, it gets confussing, is my memmories or some one elses stories.

Latest posts

Back