Do you like your laminate floor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smithhill

Reaction score
Hi, New member here. Carpet has got to come out of living room, dining room, and hall. L.R & D.R. are on a concrete slab, so I need a floating floor. The way I understand it after hours of research, I could go with engineered wood or laminate. I have 5 young grandchildren that visit, one small dog, and a family that wouldn't take shoes off at the door. I don't want to have to re-do this project in a few years because it didn't wear well, so I'm leaning more to laminate. Some same they love it, some say they hate it - some say it 's very scratch resistant, some say it's not - some say it's noisy, other's say just put down good underlayment and it's quiet. I thought maybe I could take a poll here and help make my decision. I've looked at many different brands, styles within the brands, ratings, prices, and general info. I want something that looks good and holds up very well for the long term. If you have laminate, would you mind giving me your opinion about it, what brand/collection you have, and if you installed it yourself. Thank you very much - it's a big decision - once you've got it down, it's yours!

Have you ever thought about ceramic tile or stone?
Both will be plenty durable enough and last for years.
Tile will be plenty low maintenance compared to a laminate or wood that will scratch or need sanding.
Tile can be cost effective as well.

I installed a laminate floor and when I got done with it, it just looked cheap so I ended up covering over it with carpeting. The laminate, for me, was a $1,500.00 mistake. Although nothing is perfect, tile chips and cracks, tile grout needs maintenance, carpet gets dirty, I always find myself going back to REAL honest to goodness wood in most cases. Real wood just keeps getting better with age and makes its own patina as the years go on. And it is not man made - that is the best part. In your case, maybe solid oak with some throw rugs laying around would be nice. Real wood is definitely rich and warm looking.

Back