Walls insulations - perimeter

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasilmom

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently we had an energy assessment done in our 1967 home and found that the perimeter walls are poorly insulated, in addition to have no insulation on the sill plates. Since we are in WI and winters here are far from fun, we need to do something about it. Of course that adding insulation to the exterior walls will be in order. We are about to contact couple contractors to get quotes and was wondering if anyone here can give me some pointers when talking to the contractors. The blown insulation will have to be done by the inside of the house as the exterior is brick.

Thanks for the help. Be well

Miriam

I would do your best to make it clear and simple you're getting quotes from multiple contractors. You'll also want the estimate broken down into costs for labor and parts; so you know what's the cost for labor and the cost for parts. Then, make sure you also know what type of insulation they'll be using so you can do some reference checking to see if they are over charging you. You might want to look into DIY blown-in insulation as it's not that complicated.

Thanks cork-guy. I had 2 guys came over to give me estimates. Now, for the sill plates they will use spray foam type of insulation. One uses a water based while the other uses a polyurethane (I think) base. Does anyone here know enough to give me some education on that? Pros, cons, efficiency, cost, etc?

Thanks for the help. Be well

Miriam

Latest posts

Back