Egress window next to ibeam

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vasilis

Reaction score
Hello all! Want to install an egress window on a basement. The joists run parallel to that wall but there is an ibeam that lands about 10in to the right of the existing glass block window. Is it ok to cut straight down from the glass block for the window? (See pic below) thanks!

As you can see there is a step down family room there so the ibeam rests at the same level as the bottom of the glass block bottom.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the site.
I think it depends on how deep you want to cut down. With a shout concrete wall we would expect a bigger footing to take the load but with a high wall sometime the load is expected to spread out into the rest of the wall at a 45*. If the footing is right below the floor we have had engineers ask for extra studs in the inside wall below the beam. You would have to prove the footing is right there but that would be cheap insurance.

Thank you for the quick reply! The cut would come 44in from the floor I.e. About half way down. If the load spreads 45deg how would that change if there is footing under the wall or not? Wouldn't the cut still mess with the load distribution?

I can only talk about what I have seen done. Anything like this should be permitted and the city tells us if we need an engineer to look at it first. Other things would be looked at like what the load is, is it just floor and maybe a non- bearing wall or is there a huge girder in the attic landing in the same place.
When you leave a hole in a wall for a window like this you lay 2 rebars on each side on an angle just below the corners, you will be cutting those and you won't have them below the new cut out. So in short an actual good answer that you can trust is above my pay grade.
You are talking about more than min. egress but I suspect you know that abnd want to make it a real window. I really think you should have an engineer help with this.

One city I used to live in had a Building Inspector that was always good for questions like that. He'd tell me if I was too close to the beam or if I could go ahead.
You should run it pass your building department.

Back