Why is there concrete between my joists (on the beam and foundation walls)??

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporkie16

Reaction score
:help:

Hello, We just bought this house and while down in the basement removing insulation, we noticed that between all the joist on foundation walls and on the beam, there is concrete or some similar material poured between the walls down in between the joists. The inspector said it could be fire blocking but wasn't sure. can anyone tell me what this is and why it would be there? Also, is it ok for it to be touching the wood?

I live in northeast US. Cape style House was built in 1950.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks.

20160114_214128.jpg

20160114_214141.jpg

20160114_214152.jpg

20160114_214158.jpg

20160114_214203.jpg

20160114_214257.jpg

Last edited:
That is strange, it is likely just for solid block to support the load from above.
In most cases we don't wood touching concrete because concrete will wick moisture up deposit chemicals on the wood but as this is dry it will not be a problem.
With underground electical feed sometimes the cable is exposed between studs, then we fill the stud bay with concrete and never worry about concrete touching wood in that case.

Thanks for the quick response, Any idea what this type of fire blocking is called? i can't find any information on the internet about it..

Thanks again!

Thanks for the quick response, Any idea what this type of fire blocking is called? i can't find any information on the internet about it..

Thanks again!

Thanks again!

Usually you will find wood crush blocks directly under jack studs for window and doors or any big load thru the center of the house,
I suspect some one just took this to the next level. One of those new ideas that never caught on.

Thanks again!

It could well be a framing style employed by this framer, where instead of the common practice of using a rim joist as the outside perimeter, they used pressure blocking.

Well now that you have added more pictures and we can see that this not an outside wall over the foundation I have new opinion.
There is no need for fire blocking there unless this was two separate units at some time.
It could be blocking to support a load bearing wall above this main beam.

Hello, i have attached some clearer pics. Looks like joists are notched sitting on sill plate, not sure if that is good either..

20160119_174905.jpg

20160119_174927.jpg

20160119_174946.jpg

20160119_174958.jpg

20160119_175015.jpg

20160119_175024.jpg

20160119_175141.jpg

Notching is frowned apon today but as it has stood the test of time, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.
I would have thought this was done at time of construction but we see some concrete with wire running thru it so it was done later.
In a few of the pictures we can see what looks like might be a stud from above.

Todays framing is platform where we build the floor and then walls on top of that, an older style was balloon where the studs go from the foundation to the roof.
This might have been a little of both where they built the walls first and then the floor. That would have left a hole from floor to floor or basement to attic..
Then we would get back to Joe's suggestion that it could be firestop, if that is what it is, it is way more than needed but very effective. Firestopping is almost anything that takes 30 minutes to burn thru.
Anyway some one did a lot of work doing it.

I'm seeing what looks like balloon framing. that means the stud cavity is open from the basement all the way up. I now believe again that fire blocking is probably the reason for the concrete. It blocks a fire in the basement from traveling all the way up to the attic inside the wall.

I'm seeing what looks like balloon framing. that means the stud cavity is open from the basement all the way up. I now believe again that fire blocking is probably the reason for the concrete. It blocks a fire in the basement from traveling all the way up to the attic inside the wall.

I'm hurt you didn't read my post.:p

Guys, First off, The information you provided me is amazing. I have been scouring the internet and talking to professionals and they gave me way less info then your responses. Thanks again for taking the time to read and reply to my posts. I never used forums before and that has now changed forever.

Second, The reason i am even down here is because we had some termite damage in a few joists. i have a engineer coming friday to tell me the extent and the remedy but he is pretty sure i would just be sistering some joists. my question is, would i need to chip away the fire blocking to fit the joists on the sill plate or can the joist rest on the foundation itself? i know that's a loaded question but i just want to know what would be ideal.

Thanks again.

The concrete can just be broken out and then replaced with new blocking.
That new blocking could be as simple as a piece of proper drywall blocking the hole up into the wall.
Or fire blocking foam.

fireblock_rt.ashx

It will come out quick enough with a hammer drill, but all these questions are for the engineer, that's what you are paying him for.;)

Back