termites damage after tenting

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefennel

Reaction score
i have a section of my house between the garage and the addition done years ago from another owner.
im going to replace all the wood damage, that goes without saying.
im good with the framing, have all the tools and small amount of knowledge.

ive moved walls, weight bearing and not before.
ive done some stucco and lots of drywall.

my one question is the studs along the walls that have stucco.
when i take out that studding im going to detach the stucco...i assume the only thing to do is take the stucco down and redo it...

it there a way around this?

20140322_123059.jpg

20140320_083638.jpg

20140320_090538.jpg

20140320_093831.jpg

Welcome to the site. The bigger question is, is the sheeting between the stucco and the studs good enough to keep. I have ripped studes top to bottom to remove rot and save drywall on the inside. but really I think you likely want to know that everthing is waterproof after all this work, taking it down would be your best bet.

i agree. this goes to my concern where the garage meets the new addition. there is a bad cracked between the two. i assume they just did not connect them well and the stucco failed.
would be good idea to at least take that part down and make it good and water tight. and if im going to do that i might as well take it all out. about 10'x10' section....not the end of the world..

omg!!!
well im just going to worry about getting the proper paper product wrapped on and get my stucco back on...lol

lucky for me it unlikely to snow where im at.
and we would be more than lucky to get at least 10" of rain in a year...lol

but i will make this a concern and im going to do my best to go above code...
there is mold in this project so im going to wear a mask and run my jet air filtration while i take down about half of the ceiling..
unfortunately the termites made tubes between layers of drywall on the ceiling and some mold got in there...

ughh i have to drop the ceiling to? YES

yes they were gassed... after the tenting i had done a complete renovation on a bathroom and saw zero sign of them. im hoping the nest is what you see.
it is extensive.
as i said im dropping the ceiling but im 80% sure it was all right here.....
scary...

ill continue the progress of my demo and reconstruction. im sure many of you will like to follow this.

here is my progress so far. i set up my jet air filter while i took down the ceiling. i found that they did not get in to the joist beams. they did make mud tunnels between the 2 layers of drywall. there were 2 layers because they had to meet the old plaster work for the addition. for some reason the termites liked getting between the layers. maybe they were planing to move further into the house. im going to setup support frames and then ill take the wall out and frame it back up.

20140329_142743.jpg

20140329_142756.jpg

20140329_142845.jpg

i got the beam and roof braced, tomorrow i pull down the termite eaten wood and frame in new...

20140329_163518.jpg

20140329_163558.jpg

20140329_163614.jpg

Last edited:
Back