Do I have bad propane?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68bucks

Reaction score
I have a brand new propane range. I first started using it around Christmas time and all was well. Suddenly about a week ago all the burner flames are orange. I have (2) 500 ga LPG tanks tied together. I looked at the tanks and one is at 15% and the other was still at 75%, odd. I had the supplier look the system over and they said everything was fine that the second tank would eventually draw down. I asked about the flame issue and he comes up with the humidity in the house is too high because we're running a humidifier. What? I have been monitoring the RH in the house on 3 different devices for weeks, new hardwood floors so I want to know if there are humidity issues (too high/low). The humidity has been between 30% and 40% for weeks so that's not it. Nice try. Well 2 days ago I closed the low tank to make sure the gas would feed out of the full tank. I don't want an issue a 3 am on a Saturday. Everything runs fine. Well today I lit the stove for the first time and what do you know, the flame is perfect, nice and blue. For kicks I switched the tanks, close one opened the other. I let the furnace cycle to clear the line to the house then lit the stove. The orange flame is back. The LP guy said he checked the regulators and they were the same. Could this be a bad gas situation? I had propane in the past but this is a new house to us so I'm back on LP for the first time in 12 years or so. I have never heard of this kind of problem. Also could the problem cause any damage to my appliance? I'm looking for opinions or suggestions.

When you say the tanks are tied together, is there a crossover involved, or do they feed equally all the time?
I only have a single LP tank for my gas range, and it is not unusual for the flame to show a little different when the tank is low. In my case, it's nothing alarming but it is noticeable. You could request a fill-up and see if it makes a diff.

Last edited:
Good find! The flame that I was noting was nothing like that, just a touch of yellow tips. So it becomes a question of how much yellow/orange flame is involved.

Good find! The flame that I was noting was nothing like that, just a touch of yellow tips. So it becomes a question of how much yellow/orange flame is involved.

I was thinking may the humidifier wasn't running when he tried his good tank.

First thanks for the replies. I ran across an explanation of the humidifier thing yesterday and watched the video nealtw posted. I was skeptical to say the least but I think that's the problem. Yesterday the humidifier was running but 30' away from the range. Found out today my wife had started it shortly before. We shut it off and a couple hours later blue flame again. If I run it near the stove it will turn the flame yellow right away, just like the video. Crazy. I buy the explanation about the minerals in the water being the cause. So here's a question. Is this a phenomena of ultrasonic humidifiers only? Will an evaporative style be ok? In another video I saw they ran distilled water in an ultrasonic unit and no problems but that would get expensive. When you evaporate water you tend to leave the minerals behind.

Try turning your tea pot on and see what happens.

I guess I’m old school and low tech. I just sit a pot of water where the hot air blows out.

I was wondering if this contributes to dust in the house. All those air born solids end up somewhere. I'll have to try the teapot test. I'm guessing it would be fine. I had a whole house humidifier at my old place and never had an issue with the NG range. That would be an evaporative type humidifier.

Back