Two huge maples, what can I grow under them?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dakuda

Reaction score
My front yard is dominated by two huge maple trees. I am frankly surprised that grass grows.

Since I need to finally landscape the front a bit (there is nothing else in the front yard), what would be good to grow there?

I would like to get some low (18" or so) evergreen bushes along the front of the house with perhaps some flowers in front of them for color. How much light would those evergreens need? I have about 30 linear feet to cover.

I never had real good luck growing things under maples when I lived in Wisconsin. Deep shade, non-flowering ground covers worked the best -- like ivy or pachysandra.

Hostas grow well under the large maple in my yard. There are several varieties (including giant ones), so they don't all have to look the same.

Hostas would be my first choice. Check out the shade perennials in your garden center. Most evergreens require sun.

Luckily, I have not gotten around to this yet. I am getting one of the trees removed tomorrow and the other will be topped and trimmed. That should change my front yard significantly to the point where I need to rethink things. Again.

Back