Support Beams

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amherman

Reaction score
I am very new at all of this, so please bear with me. I have lived in my home for 7 years now, it was built in 1958 and everything has been fine until about 8 months ago. I noticed in my bathroom that there was a "small" gap between my baseboard and my floor, my brother said that my support beams needed "extra support" but did nothing to help. Now 8 months later I have about a 3 inch gap in my bathroom; my floor is slanted in there as well as coming down my hallway and living room there is about 1/2 inch gap between baseboard and flooring. My questions: 1) Is it now to late to add the extra support? 2) What do I need to get (I have heard of "floor Jacks")? 3) Where do I need to go to get what I need with out being taken? I am single and have no help in this matter, so any advice would be greatly appreciated. The house is 960 sq ft, one floor ranch style home.

Welcome AMHerman:
We are happy to have you join us. Now, lets see what we can do to remedy the situation.

First of all, you need a black plastic cover on the ground below your house (I didn't see any mention of a basement). The plastic will make it much easier to work around under the house.

Second, you will most likely find a place where the Plumber cut a floor joist into for his pipe to pass through. The other joists around it can't keep bearing the extra weight, so it is sagging.

You will need 4 pieces of 4 X 6 about 16" long to lay on the ground (use treated lumber and it will be fine on the plastic), 2 pieces of 4 X 6 about 4' long for beams to go across 3 or more floor joists, placing one beam on each side of the cut; rent 4 jacks that you feel you can handle under the floor.

Place the 2 beams up against the floor joists (hang them with plumber's roll and roofing nails), place the 4 blocks under or near the ends of the beams, set the jacks and start raising each of them a little at a time (you will need someone inside to watch for the right height). When you get the right level and are satisfied, cut pieces of 4 x 4 or 4 X 6 for posts tightly fitted and remove the jacks.

Please let us know how it works out for you and maybe send some pictures of before and after.

Glenn

Back