Wood Paint

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rseth123

Reaction score
Folks:

I am new to wood paint. I hired a painter to stain our new center island and that person used cloth to stain. So now the situation is that color matches with rest of the cabinets but its not smooth and it is (light,dark) at places.

Any suggestions to fix it would help.

Sand it down to the original wood and then use a small soft paint brush so that the colour will be uniform. Or else you could have used the polyclad hardwood shutters,it doesnt require any paint like formaldehyde or voc's.

Sand it down to the original wood and then use a small soft paint brush so that the colour will be uniform. Or else you could have used the polyclad hardwood shutters,it doesnt require any paint like formaldehyde or voc's.

It's an island, not a window. If you haven't applied a finish, try taking a rag with stain and hit the light spots to even it out. Worth a try. Or, tell the painter you're not happy and ask him to fix it.

It's common to use a rag to apply stain, apply it and just rip off the eccess.
A picture of what it looks like now may help figure out what went wrong.
It's also common for certin woods to not except stain evenly.
That can be from not first removing all the old sealer down to the bare wood, not degreasing, a soft wood like pine, or a really dence wood like maple.

The stain on cupboard is fast drying and sprayed on. It is just color on the surface of the wood so real stain acts differently.

Many types of wood will absorb stain unevenly, especially pine and maple. A thin coat of blond shellac can help. It will lightly seal the wood, but not completely, and your stain can then be applied more evenly.

If going over the piece with a rag dampened with solvent doesn't solve the problem, sand it down, cut your shellac with a little methyl hydrate, apply a thin coat, and then try your stain. Better yet, do it on a sample first.

Thanks everyone!! I guess i got an idea but i will still post the pictures soon

It would be great if you just sand it yourself and do the painting since your painter did not do a good job. Just use soft brush but if you aren't satisfied then you should go to a professional.

Latest posts

Back