Filling gaps in a table

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InTooDeep

Reaction score
This weekend I built a very simple table. See pic.
I didn't use the best joining method however and the wood I bought at HD was a bit warped. There are two small gaps at one end (about 1/16in).
I was planned on just leaving it but if I can I would like to get rid of them. I've already sanded and stained but haven't put the polyurethane on.

Is there a good way to do this. I'm thinking either wood filler and then sand and stain over. Or glue and then sand while it's wet to get the dust in. Then sand and stain when it dries.

Would either of these work or should I just leave it as is? I'm not looking for a perfectionist table, just something that looks decent.

1415652145192.jpg

I don't like the dust from sanding but use the sawdust from cutting the same wood. Run a bead of glue along the crack and rub in the sawdust. You can leave it dry or sand it right away but wet glue will plug the sand paper.

As always thanks for the advice Neal. Did as you suggested I'll let you know how it turns out.

Looks good. If you weren't happy with that the next suggestion would be to set up a jig so you router out a strip say 3/4" wide by 1/8 deep and glue in a solid wood filler.but is can be an eye catcher too if you have glued up boards of consistent width.

I like to take the sanding dust and make a paste from it with some blonde shellac.The shellac works better than glue and shows up less in the finished product.Most topcoats are compatible with shellac.

Back