squeaky hinges

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christian

Reaction score
Lately, the hinges on our bathroom door are squeaking when the door is more than half way closed.

Any recommendations of what to put on there to quiet that down?

Other than that...the door swings and closes nicely.

I use spray silicone with the extenson tube.

I take the pins out one at a time and give them a light coat of Vaselene. It lasts for years and never runs down.
Glenn

It's normally the upper hinge that rusts cuz the warmest (and most humid air) rises.

Because the hinge pin might be rusty, it may also be hard to take out. I find that grabbing onto the head of the hinge pin with a pair of locking pliers and turning it back and forth WHILE pulling on the pin works best for removing it.

The best way I know of to clean the hinge pin up (once you get it out) is to put it in the chuck of an electric drill and hold a piece of emery cloth against it while it's spinning.

A hinge pin has a very easy job, and almost any lubricant will work fine on a hinge. I use Duralube (As Seen On TV!) only because I have some and don't use it for anything else. But, any grease (like wheel bearing grease or lithium grease or Vaseline (as already mentioned) will work fine). I wouldn't use WD-40though because it's such a light oil that most of what you put on will evaporate, leaving only a thin oil film behind that might not last very long. I'd go with any lubricating oil or grease instead.

Thanks guys!

I think I'll try the Vasoline route since I'm sure I have some of that lying around the house.

Latest posts

Back