Fireplace wall overhaul?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeJ

Reaction score
Hello all, new guy here.

We are about to close on a house that we will be doing a complete remodel on before moving in.

One thing that I'm kinda stumped on is what to do with this entire fireplace wall. The brick doesn't match anything with the house. The floors are going to be refinished to a darker stain. Any suggestions on what to do with the brick and cabinets?

Clean the brick and leave it alone, I think it looks fine. If you are dead set on doing something.....
1. Larger mantle more to scale of the brick wall....
2. Darken the stain on the built-ins more toward what your floors will be...

Without knowing your tastes it’s very hard to answer your question. I also don’t see anything wrong that a good cleaning won’t fix to suit my tastes.

If you look for something sophisticated, something unique you don't see in many houses than go with Venetian Plaster, smooth finish. This will definitely will give your fireplace an overhaul.

Those cabinets look like build-ins, those are pretty expensive to make, you can give them a white wash so they will blend in with walls and will make your fireplace to stand out more.

Best of luck with your purchase.

If it was my house I think I would build a larger mantle that is full width, and a surround out of the same wood you're using on the floor. Covering all the brick below the existing mantle and around the fireplace insert. Then, while I'm rarely in favor of painting brick, this time I would paint everything above the mantle either the same color as the wall or a very mild contrast.

What about staining the brick to a lighter color? The outside brick is an off white.

I doubt you can stain it a lighter colour, I did one where the customer stained and didn't like the colour and she had us cover the whole thing with foe rock, looked nice and modern.
Years ago I did one by covering all the stuff above the mantel with drywall, glued on and then installed an oldfashion mantel , the kind that has wood coming down the sides to the floor, tile around the fireplace opening, wood around the harth and new slat on the top of the harth.

I've actually thought about drywalling everything up above the level of the cabinets. Faux stone is a possibility.

Keep in mind that bringing it up to the most modern, it will be out of style within 10 years.
I think I too would leave as is but to make a house your home you have to the things that would please you.

Back