Icicle problem with roof valley

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skmleo

Reaction score
We completed building our house one year ago and last winter had major issues with this valley causing snow and ice to dam and leak into the house. We were advised to line the area with copper which I am still not sure will work. The main issue we are concerned about now is the large icicle that formed on the siding causing water to leak into the house. There has been mixed opinions on gutters. Does nayone have any suggestions? We live in new England and experience alot of snowfall from December til April.

You have an Ice damming issue. This is caused by lack of insulation and ventilation in this area.
Since this is a poorly designed area, you need to stop the temperature difference.
Try http://www.nuwool.com/HomeOwners/HomeOwnersMain.aspx for an insulation type material which will help you.
I don't like to recommend sites too much, but this company can help. And I live in CT, I know your issues.
If they cannot help, try an energy audit company. Also www.buildingscience.com is in MA.:D

Yep - inspectorD is right on. You need to keep the roof the same tepature as the surrounding air to avoid this. I see no venting. You have heated air from your house melting the snow on the roof. The melted snow then runs down to the eave and freezes again causing your issue. Ideally only the sun and air temp should melt the snow on your roof, not your furnace.

Unfortunately that's a tough area to insulate and ventilate properly.

Latest posts

Back