Laminate Floor and Stair Spindles

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clemkonan

Reaction score
Hello everyone I am brand new to the forum. My goal is to learn as much as I can and share what little experience I have. I am not much of a DIY but the high cost of labour demands that we all try to save a buck where we can, provided we proceed with caution. Hopefully this forum will help to provide that small bit of caution or advise.

Today I am looking into installing laminate flooring on the upstairs level of our two-story home. This project is being driven my my sons asthma, my wife's desire for a home that is easier to keep clean and my desire for all of the above without incurring a second mortgage to do it.

I have chosen Laminate for durability and ease of installation and plan to use a Shaw product or Torly 8 mm.

My problem is that on the second floor the hallway breaks in the middle to give way to the stairs then continues onto the other side with the right side being bounded by stair railing and spindles.

Silly me, I am trying to figure out how to install laminate on that area where the stair railing anchors to the floor. I have not removed the carpet so I cannot comment on how the railing and spindles are attached at floor level.

All the guides speaks to room installation but there is nothing dealing with hallways and adjoining stair railings. Any help would be appreciated

Sounds like your best bet would be to remove the ballusters and install the floor. Then you can reinstall the ballusters on top of a plate, like a wall frame. The plate would be a 1x4 that you could attach to the floor with screws, or well placed nails. Make the plate to fit without nailing, then drill holes where the fasteners will go. Remove the plate and drill the holes in the floor out with a 3/4 to 1 inch spade bit. This will allow the floor to move a bit under the plate. Install the plate just snug, then cut and reinstall the ballusters. Leave the posts alone, just trim around them when the floor is finished. Be careful to nail the trim only to the posts.

I think I get the idea however I will try to check out a couple of model homes to get a visual picture. Thanks again

Back