Sealing flashing against glass

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darsunt

Reaction score
I have a window leaks, which I plan to patch using pieces of flashing over a rotten window frame. The problem is I need to have a waterproof seal where the flashing goes up against the glass.
Right now I'm assuming a good silicone sealant will work between a glass and flashing joint. Is this true?

Welcome to the Forum Darsunt:
Yes, silicone is a good product for this use. There are sealants that might have more adhesion but the silicone eliminates a lot of mess.
Glenn

Silicone will set/seal very well. You will need a high grade silicone. The easiest rating to find on a tube of silicone is 100%, the next best rating is the years it's supposed to last. 30 year silicone is good stuff, but can't be painted over well.

so, YES!

Silicone latex... this will need to be painted. If you're going to paint it anyway, use the silicone latex and paint it soon.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks

I know that usually you use roofing sealant under flashing, my only concern was whether silicone would hold a watertight seal between glass and flashing metal. Since it does, all my problems should be solved!

Back