Toilet tank valve replacement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc0319

Reaction score
So I changed the insides of my toilet tank. I had the old ball float and exchanged that for a fluid master cylindrical type float. Now it always runs. I even changed the flapper. Anyone ever have issues with fluidmaster? Should I go back to the old ball float?

Check to make sure the float is not touching something causing it to stay in the down position. It should slide freely up and down.
Also make sure that rubber tube elbow is not sitting so low it's inside the tube.

joecaption said:
Check to make sure the float is not touching something causing it to stay in the down position. It should slide freely up and down.
Also make sure that rubber tube elbow is not sitting so low it's inside the tube.

Thanks Joe will check. Not sure what you mean by rubber tube elbow. Is that the rubber fill tube?

Another thought . . . The Fluidmaster has an adjustment that sets the height and depth of the float. If it is set too high, it may not trip the shutoff. Try lowering the float so it trips sooner.

Good luck . . .

Villa and Joe

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't being clear enough with the issue. It is not a continuous drip like the flapper is not seating properly. It is more like a sudden surge of water every once in awhile.

That is the sound it makes when the water level in the tank drops due to a leak and water rushes back in through the fill valve to bring the level back to where it should be. Try putting some food coloring in the tank water. Then watch the rim in the bowl itself to see if you have a trickle of colored water. That would indicate the flapper/flush valve is leaking.

Ok so I lowered the float per Villa's suggestion and that seems to have been this issue. I only lowered it a fraction of an inch and it seems to have worked. Thanks to all.

Happy for you! Always glad when we solve a problem . . . I had previously not mentioned that a fraction of an inch is usually the trick. Doesn't take much.

NOW, if the leakage comes back . . . you have a problem with the Fluidmaster. Might want to take it back for a replacement.

But, let's not borrow trouble. :D

Back