my toilet is running away!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abijan

Reaction score
I'm on my second American Standard toilet. I had a plumer install the first one (you know, do it right the first time). It ran in spurts all day long and emptied copious amounts of water down the pipes. What a waste. Plumber came back and said toilet was defective. So I took it out and hauled it back to Home Depot. Bought a second, more expensive toilet (you know, more $ means better quality, right?). Well, this one does the same thing, only it runs continuously. I had no choice but to turn the water to it off. Called American Standard and they are sending me out a new fill valve and a new flush valve, but they won't install it. Guess I have to call the plumber in again. Why do I have the feeling that new valves will not solve the problem?? First toilet and second toilet are both low flow. Does that have something to do with it? I live in a tall townhouse and the toilet is on the top level. Does the flow up to the pipes have something to do with it? The townhouse is 40 years old. Does the age of the pipes have omething to do with it? I am at my wits end on this one and slowly succumbing to Chinese water torture. Drip, drip, drip .......

Hi Abijan,

While American Standard may have had great toilets many years ago these days they are made south of the border with very lax quality control.

I stopped choosing Am Std products years ago for my customers, and only install them when the customer purchases them after a warning that if the product is defective they will pay for an additional installation. With customer supplied products the only warranty is that I installed it correctly, and there is no warranty on the product itself.

May I suggest a Toto Drake II toilet not found at big box stores? That is my toilet of choice to install for my customers....

Back