Removing old sash weights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D725A

Reaction score
In preparation for some spray foam insulation of our attic, I need to remove four old sash weights from the framing of our two attic windows. I should have had it done when the windows were replaced; now they're kind of wedged in. I'm afraid of yanking them out and damaging the windows from the side pressure. I thought perhaps the colder months might be best without the summer humidity here in ny to expand the wood. In the attached photo you can see how the ballast is at the bottom of the channel which I believe is the tightest part. I thought if I can raise a it a bit to a slightly wider area which I could make even wider with a rasp......... any ideas? Leaving these in there would leave a gap in the insulaton/sealing.

Photo didn't show up, you can upload from your computer if you scroll down from the Reply Box to the box where it says Manage Attachments. Click on it and follow the directions. It's easy.

more of a conditioned space than occupiable--to keep heat from escaping and lower the temperatures the AC has to work in.

So you are insultating the space the AC unit is running in? If yes, that should be a question for the AC boys.

I think he is going to spray foam the exterior walls. When you do this you take the insulation to the exterior of the house envelope. The attic becomes conditioned space. I think he just wants to get the old sash weights out so it doesn't take up space that the insulation new insulation will occupy.

I'm afraid of yanking them out and damaging the windows from the side pressure.

Use a half inch drill bit, and drill a few holes along side. Should wiggle out, with no vibration.

That's all new to me, I might worry about the roof itself over heating depending on type.
With a sawsall you could remove a sliver of the stud beside the weight.

Back