Vinyl siding rookie, where do i start?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewdin

Reaction score
I own a house with vinyl siding I have to fix under some windows where the height is not ideal. This leaves me to cut either the top or bottom of the 4 pieces of siding.

That is my question, sine the cut is either too high or too low, do i install the new siding from the bottom up and vut, or do I start under the window and cut the bottom?

How far do I go down with the siding? all the way to the top of the deck? Do i leave some space above the deck?

Thanks!

Some pictures take more than a thousand words.
Are you just repairing around the new windows or the whole wall or the whole house.
This siding is vertical or horizontal? What is the deck made out of?

ill try to get some pics tonight, im going to replace everything on the siding, the deck is made of wood. The siding is horizontal. thanks

There should be a flashing under the decking to deflect water away from the ledger below. If it is not there you need one above the decking and behind the house wrap. Aluninium flashing is NOT to be used with treated lumber. Their is a starter for the bottom but if you want to match the siding to the rest of the house you will likely have to cut the bottom peice. Then you will have to start with J trim. See link below.

http://chicagohomeprimer.com/editable/uploads/File/Vinyl Siding Installation Manual.pdf

great instructions, my question is that if you cut the siding, you would use the lock strip and not j channel? I didn't see that in the instructions. Would you use both?

Whats to prevent water from running down the siding into the cut siding under the window? I didn't see anything about that either, thanks!

oh ya, starting strip and start from the bottom up!

Look at pages 20 thru 25, there are details on j trim around windows. Pay attention on how they want you to cut it.
No matter how well you do putting this stuff, wind drivin rain will get behind it so it is important to get the house wrap right for the secondary water stop.

Thats an issue, the previous owner put the siding on the house and didnt use house wrap. I have a mismatch of foam board and radiant barrior all over under the siding.

I am going to have to reside the house at some point. Hopefully not too soon...

All you can do is make sure what you do is up to speed and you don't have to go back a second time to the same area.
Anytime we have a wall exposed we pook around to see if there is anything else that should be addressed.

Back