Dishwasher drain problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mozart3851

Reaction score
Hope this doesn't get confusing! We had a problem with our kitchen sink draining, slow at first then completely stopped. We tried everything, ultimately had to cut out 25 ft. of drain line in the basement and replace it! the whole run was completely clogged! At some point, while using a plunger on the sink, without realizing it, water backed up into the dishwasher. It was about a half bucket full. I got all the drain pipe replaced, we ran the dishwasher, thinking it was ok. Well, it drains all the water out but that half a bucket full! It ran fine before with no water left in the bottom. My wife seems to think the drain hose is clooge, but I say if it was clogged the water wouldn't drain at all. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sounds like you backed up the junk into your dishwasher drain line, which is pretty small. You can pull the dishwasher out and remove and clean this line if needed. If you could somehow use a plunger on the dishwasher that would take care of it as well.

Hey, I had the same problem. I had to take out the damned dishwasher and check the hoses for back flow gunk. Luckily my dishwasher hose was a clear dirty yellow. There was black patches inside the house which was the back flow of sludge. Before I disconnected the hose, I made sure the sink pipes were draining well, I didn't want to connect the cleaned hose and the dishwasher and have more backflow from the existing pipes and have to remove the damned dishwasher all over again. Anyway, I ended up disconnecting the dishwasher hose and flushing it with water with a garden hose outside. Also, sometimes there is calcium build up at the bottom of the dishwasher inside the bowl. I cleaned this out before I reattached the dishwasher. Once all was done, she flowed well, no back up.......and I said: "My Fixeded It!"

Back