Outdoor Kitchen Help Needed!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I have with the help of a friend designed an outdoor kitchen that I would like to build with the help of some of my friends who is very good at Sketchup as you can tell in the images below. He pointed out to me that with the veneer stone I will be using with a concrete board, the flanges on the door unit have nothing to screw to? He sent along these images to give me and others a point of view. As you can see the flange on the door is only 2 1/8" and the stone + concrete board are 2 1/4" which leaves no steel stud to screw them into. He suggested that I could insert the door frame and then cut the stone around the frame, but I really want the frame lip to cover the edge of the stone all the way around for a clean look. I will attach all the images he sent over for a better look. Thanks for any help as I am wanting to get started asap. One other thing, I asked if he was sure that the dimensions are correct on the door unit and he said that he used the line drawing that the company of the door sent him??

DoubleDoorCutout1.png

DoubleDoorCutout.png

RightSideView.png

TopView.png

So.....you have a pre-made door unit in mind - OR WHAT?

You may have to fashion a welded primary frame assembly of a sufficient size that would screw to the metal studs. The door frame assembly would then attach to that primary assembly. It would still overlay the stone veneer.

Get your plan together before you go any further, don't get in a hurry. Drawing a few speculative pictures with Sketchup and really knowing what you are doing to make it all come together is two entirely different things.:)

You don't need to use a concrete board if you use thin, lightweight antico stone panels. You can make the whole surface thinner and have more room to play with the flange. let me know if you need more info.

Latest posts

Back