How to remove this patio door hinge

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boonetrace

Reaction score
I would be grateful if you could let me know how to remove this patio door hinge. I went to a local Home Depot today, but could not find this type of hinge. My house is 10 years old, so it might be an old model. Thank you for your help

patio-hinge.jpg

I also didn't see that exact hinge, but they offer a newer style adjustable spring hinge which should work for you.

I would be grateful if you could let me know how to remove this patio door hinge. I went to a local Home Depot today, but could not find this type of hinge. My house is 10 years old, so it might be an old model. Thank you for your help

Remove the (6) screws with a phillips screwdriver and the hinge will pull away from the door and frame. Turn the screws counter clockwise.

Dear havasu and oldognewtrick,
Thank you for your replies. So basically, if I understand correctly, there is no way of removing (disassembling) the hinge without unscrewing it from either the frame or the door? I was just hoping to avoid that (since I need to put the door back), but if that's the only way to do it, no problem. Thank you again.

Last edited:
I believe that those hinge pins are pressed at the factory and don't come apart like a house door hinge.

I guess you could remove material from the swaged end of the hinge pin using a large drill, then drive the pin out with a countersink or large nail and then reassemble the hinge using a bolt & nut.

Iffy & risky.

Dear All who commented on my post: I have removed the door as recommended, cut of 5 mm from the bottom (that was the job I was going to do), put it back, the door now opens and closes without any problem. Thank you again to all of you for the comments/suggestions.

Latest posts

Back