Replacing PVC columns-how to anchor?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowfan

Reaction score
Hi all, first post.

I am replacing PVC covered rotten posts (2x4 sandwiched) with solid wood 6x6 posts. The PVC is anchored at the bottom only and the wood inside is just nailed in.

We have severe wind here, the plan is to keep the roof on the house.

I do not know the best way to anchor them on the bottom, with the vacant hole left by the old posts. Top is no problem.

All input appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
You could fill the hole with concrete and use a post saddle but you have to drill a hole down the center for the spike and it looks like you have a peice of steel in the way.
http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/canada/rcps.html# any lumberyard has these.
You also want to stap tie these at the top 8 or 10 nails into post and 8 or 10 nails into framing above all gavinized nails.
6x6s tend to warp and twist as the dry out, four treated 2x6s nailed together is an option and they stay straighter.
Welcome to the site.

Hello

The wooden post is NOT supposed to make contact directly to concrete
What you have to do it the following:

1) fill in the concrete void under the post ( make it even with the slab)
2) Install a temporary jack on each side of the post for support
3) Remove old post
4) replace post in center with pressure treated 2x4's if that is the current size in the middle
NOTE: when resting the post on the base, use a post seat. The are a small square approximately 1" high. It keeps the wooden post from touching the cement. They also sell plastic. Both are fine. Replace the post and size the wooden insert and plastic sleeve accordingly.
5) use the proper upper and lower mounting brackets

Hello
I was at a supply house today and on the counter were that anchors that I was mentioning so i snapped a pic

Simply anchor the piece on the right into the cement with a "Wedge Anchor"
Bolt it down then connect the other side to the post and nail

http://www.bergencountycontractors.info

anchor.jpg

Thank you all for the input. I purchased the 6x6's a few months ago and some of them have twisted.

I won't be covering these posts with plastic. The home is exposed on a hill with no shade and the plastic, particularly the railings, did not last long. 5-8 years before failing. Of course, I don't know how long wood will last, hopefully a long time with good paint as the place is for sale. I priced steel for this job and it was over budget.

I picked up strongtie connectors and wedge anchors today and will get after it tomorrow.

Thanks.

Here are a few pics. Again, thanks for the help. I used post bases with an additional bolt installed to help prevent twist.

Last edited:
The porch had sagged as the old columns rotted.

I jacked it back up and leveled it all around.

Back