Can I have outlets and overhead on same circuit...

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvz

Reaction score
In a bedroom?

I rewired my kitchen and one thing has led to another... turns out the kitchen outlets, the two kitchen overhead lights, the hallway light, and one full bedroom were on a single circuit. Now that the kitchen has been separated into its seven or so circuits, I have to reconnect the bedrooms and the hallway. Does the NEC allow for a bedroom to be on a single circuit (one overhead light, and about 4-6 outlets)? Would you recommend 15A or 20A for this arrangement if it is allowed?

Thanks

Ben

Yep. Add a smoke detector and #14-2 w/g on a 15 amp breaker.

If you change panel, or change the wire that feeds a bedroom, it has to be put on an arc fault breaker. And like mentioned, it is fine to have those things on the same circuit. I will typically run about 800watts of lights, and bedroom plugs, and a couple of hallway plugs on one 15amp circuit. Unless you plan on using plug in space heaters, then maybe 2-3 lights, and one room of plugs. Good luck...

If you change panel, or change the wire that feeds a bedroom, it has to be put on a arc fault breaker.
As far as a panel change goes this would be a very uncommon code.
Most every place I know and have heard of does NOT require AFCI breakers for a service upgrade or panel change. The AFCI requirement is for the branch circuits. Replacing a panel is NOT altering the "branch circuit".

If you alter or extend a bedroom branch circuit, then you are required to upgrade to AFCIs, IF your area requires them.

BTW Triple, why do you limit yourself so much on these circuits? And how do you determine the "800 watts"?

What I do is figure bedroom surface lights at 180 watts, cans at 90watts, and wall sconce at 120watts, and each bulb of a bath vanity at 100watts. And the rest you ask? Well I like to be able to run a vacuum, or a large t.v. (plasma), or a computer, even a stereo, or maybe a laser printer?, etc, etc. I like to be safe. You never know what someone will plug in to a "general" outlet. Just another thought from the mind of Triple D...

It occurs to me that I never thanked you guys for the info. So.... thanks!

I ran a circuit (well... 12-2 wire really - nothing is hooked up) to each bedroom in preparation for the day when I actually get around to rewiring them (they are currently still served by the house's old wiring.

Thanks again!

Ben

Back