Gas log stove goes out????

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wml52

Reaction score
I have a sealed gas log stove, which is vented through the sidewall. Combustion air and vented gases go through the double wall stove pipe. I ran this stove all last winter without any issues until now.

I turned it on this afternoon and after a few minutes both the flame and pilot flame went out. I was able to reignite the pilot light but had no success with the burner. I shut the gas valve that supplies the stove and waited about 30 minutes before I turned the gas back on and reignited the pilot flame. The burner lit but after a few minutes the flame seemed much smaller then when I first lit the stove, there was no change in flame height wither the flame adjust knob was set to high or low, it just kept getting smaller until I shut it off completely. I should mention that I ran this stove last week without any issues.

It was a very windy day and I’m wondering if that had affected the way the side vent was operating or could there be a clog somewhere in the combustion air intake, I could not see anything blocking the vent on the outside of the house. I’d appreciate any help in trying to figure out what is causing what appears to be a lack of combustion air?

Just as a side bar I recently had the LP tank refilled but don’t think that would cause this problem just thought I’d through that out there.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Bill

It's possible that your regulator has gone wonky, though I don't know how likely that is.

Also, does this unit have a thermo-coupler?

Could be debrie in the line. When the tech changed the tank connection there is sometimes debrie at the nozzle of the new tank...think spiders and webs.:eek: Or something else got in the other end, this does get missed from time to time. It would also explain why the pilot gets weak. There is debrie in the line no doubt. And If it was the thermocoupler , the pilot would still be strong.
I would aslo check to see that the valve has beed opened all the way at the tank.;)

take the line apart out side between the reg. and the house. You will have to
turn off gas at tank first. the after you take line apart, try having some one turn gas on for a few seconds and blow the line. You could have water in the
line from moisture in the gas. It will cause the same problem you are having.
Later Paul

I have several other gas appliances such as a stove and tank-less water heater that are working fine, it appears to be just the gas log stove that I have a problem with.

I have several other gas appliances such as a stove and tank-less water heater that are working fine, it appears to be just the gas log stove that I have a problem with.

You will need to have some one check the incoming pressure at the gas valve
to see if the pressure drops when you turn on the burner. If the pressure does not drop then check the pressure on the out going side of the gas valve.
if the in coming is ok and the out going drop then you need a new gas valve.
One thing i had happen to me once, the gas shut off valve has grease in it and when i opened it the grease came around over the hole and when i lite the furnace it came on with hi flame then in just a few seconds it would go right down to a very small flame, just like what is happing to you.. Later Paul
PS the newer gas cocks do not have grease in them

Latest posts

Back