Quickwire, Backwire, Sidewire

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slownsteady

Reaction score
I recently installed a couple of light switches, and I noticed that Levitton gives you three ways to wire them. I know that most of you guys advise not to "back-stab" (quickwire) the wires, but since Levitton still offers this option, I started wondering why they do. Has it gotten any better in design?
And while we're on the subject, what about the backwire option, where the wire gets clamped down and tightened with the screw? Is it any worse than the traditional sidewire?

The ones that just have a spring to make contact I would never trust. The type where you shove the wire in a hole and then secure it with a screw down contact clamp are fine IMO. My favorite type are the ones like the GFCI use where the wire is stripped straight and slid under the clamp much simpler than bending the hook and every bit as good of a connection.

...My favorite type are the ones like the GFCI use where the wire is stripped straight and slid under the clamp much simpler than bending the hook and every bit as good of a connection.

Yup, that's what Levitton is calling 'backwire'. I like it too. I never have fun trying to get that hook over the screw in the sidewire.

Back