My big project, tile love :-) pix

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spainshhouse

Reaction score
My husband and I have just acquired a great Spanish style house. It needs some love and I wanted to restore it, but also update it.

I have just got this beautiful mixed lot of modern Malibu tile on Ebay and found these pictures online of what I want to do with the ugly brick hearth. There are also some neat alcoves outside and I have got these great murals from the the same tile studio to set in them.

I am wondering about tiling over the brick and also what do I need to do to prime the stucco? Does it need to come off if it is cracked?

mixedlot.JPG

spanishdancer.JPG

sample.JPG

Welcome SpanishHouse:
The tile is beautiful; I like the bright, bold colors. I would think tile can be applied to any sound masonry or concrete surface including stucco. Where the stucco is cracked you will need to see if it is begining to loosen up from the wall. Otherwise, clean the crack out, getting any 'soft' material out and re-applying new before any tile work. If the stucco is turning loose, so will the tile.
Glenn

Well we for the loose stucco off and found a whole mess underneath. I think we are going to have to call in the pros for the alcoves....

Sorry; it seems we win some, loose some and some get rained out. I hate the rain-outs.
Glenn

So we called in a guy to work on the alcoves and he broke a piece of our mural! I was sick about it as it was hand drawn and painted and I did not know if I could get an exact match. I called the place we bought it from and she had us send the surrounding pieces back and she was able to make another piece and exact match at no charge!! I just want to say if anyone needs any kind of tile at all please give the people over at artisticabodetile.com a call. I cant say enough good things about them!

We should have some pictures up soon of the completed alcoves.

Back