Front Door.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hack

Reaction score
Like every other project in this dang house, nothing is easy. I ordered a new entry door, and it had to be custom built because of it's size. It is 42" wide and 84" tall (non-standard). It was built with vertical grain fir, and was PERFECTLY SQUARE. I took the old door in for them to match the new door, but they assumed the door was square, and it's not. I had to taper the top of the door and raise the sill to allow the sweep to close off the bottom gap. Other than that, it was a perfect fit ...

These are the before (painted) and after (finished) pictures...I still have some interior trim finish work to do.

IMG_0623.jpg

IMG_0625.jpg

IMG_1057.jpg

IMG_1062.jpg

Very nice job!!

{I love it when a plan comes together!}:D

That is some craftsmanship there. They just don't make them like that in the big box stores.

I hate to be "that" guy . .But What was wrong with the old door that looks good also. The new door looks super and hanging a heavy door like that is a challenge

A couple of tricks I use when dealing with an old house and have to replace the door is to cheak just how out of level the rough opening area is and fix that first.
There's a bunch of things you can do to improve things.
Remove the whole jam and reset it, set up some dams and pore a level area for the threshold to set on, shim up the floor joist, or install an adjustable threshold.
When cutting the door to width, take equal amounts off each side and when cutting the knob side I give it a slight back cut, which means making it at a very slight angle so the side that hits the stops is narrower
This is so the door does not hit the jambs as it starts to close.
If the jambs are not right it's next to impossible to get the door to be air tite.

Back