Low voltage transformer?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdupp

Reaction score
I have an area that I would like to install a low voltage recessed 2” puck light. I have a switched outlet about five feet from that area. My question is can I wire a plug to the transformer? Also does the transformer need to be put in some kind of box?

TIA :confused:

My question is can I wire a plug to the transformer? yes but, see the qualifier below.

Also does the transformer need to be put in some kind of box? Transformer - no but, the wire splice from plug to transformer yes.

I would solder the wires together and use heat shrink over the connection, this might get you around the requirement of splices having to be enclosed.

Last edited:
All splices MUST be made in a junction box. The transformer was not designed to be plug in so NO you can not put a plug on it.

Thanks guys for your help. I’m no electrician but I try to do things the right way if possible. Since the Transformer is very tiny I will put it inside a junction box, solder & heat shrink the splice. Would this be safe and acceptable?

Much Appreciated!

The transformer does not have to be enclosed, just the electrical connections. The connections do not have to be soldered and heat shrinked, you can just use wire nuts.
The only reason I suggested solder and heat shrink was to avoid having to enclose the electrical splice thinking that type of connection would not have to be enclosed but, technically it does.
Do you have a power source nearby that you can connect the transformer to?

The only power source nearby is the switched outlet. That’s why I want to plug into that outlet so I turn it off and on with the wall switch. It just makes the whole job easy if I can do it this way.

Thanks again for the help!

Then buy some low voltage lighting that is designed to be plugged in.

12Vxenonpuck-3pack.jpg

Just wire a plug on it. I've done it with power from the hood fan and had every thing in the cupboard above the stove

Then buy some low voltage lighting that is designed to be plugged in.

12Vxenonpuck-3pack.jpg

I just need ONE - RECESSED puck style light for a corner nook. Where can I get that?

Back