Adjustment to widen temp on/off cycling

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianMcKay

Reaction score
The forced air unit here cycles on and off too frequently. Being all electric, I feel that efficiency would be improved by widening the temp range for start/stop parameters. i.e., let the house cool down more between heating cycles.
Goodman mod ARUF182416BA Ser#0901697683. Digital wall 'stat has no OEM ID - GT5000/5020, ver1.2.
Many moons ago, I remember recalibrating the hi/low limit switches on furnaces and re-setting wall 'stat to proper ambient temp sensing. Those were analog days.
Moved here 11/1, no history or factory manuals.

for me this is referred to by the thermostat manufacturer as "heat differential".
I have not seen a newer furnace where the limit switches are adjustable.
However, I have seen some where the blower switches are adjuatable but, this only controls when the blower comes on and goes off. This does not control that actual cycling of the unit itself.

The forced air unit here cycles on and off too frequently. Being all electric, I feel that efficiency would be improved by widening the temp range for start/stop parameters. i.e., let the house cool down more between heating cycles.
Goodman mod ARUF182416BA Ser#0901697683. Digital wall 'stat has no OEM ID - GT5000/5020, ver1.2.
Many moons ago, I remember recalibrating the hi/low limit switches on furnaces and re-setting wall 'stat to proper ambient temp sensing. Those were analog days.
Moved here 11/1, no history or factory manuals.

A good heating system with proper stat should keep the temp within 1 to 1&1/2
degrees. I don't think letting your temp go up and down 4 or 5 degrees is going to save you any money. Is your thermostat 24 volt? If it is you could get a timer
that delays on make. So when the stat calls for heat you can adjust the delay to be as much as 10min or more. We use them in air con. compressor to stop short cycling. later paul

Latest posts

Back