I cant win

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeremyB

Reaction score
So in addition to finding out last week that I have a leak in the roof ( which im getting replaced next week ) Im sitting in the living room today and could hear a noise like something moving around so I go up and check, I dont see a thing so I look around up there a bit and still nothing. About 3 hours go's by and I hear a noise again so go up there and move some insulation around where I heard the noise and still nothing.

Its been about 3 hours now and I havent heard anything. We had a bit of snow last night and it was warmer today so it all melted, could that have been it?

Im so sick of going in that damn attic the last week:p:p:p maybe my house is haunted I do know,lol

Jeremy

I don't think so, I don't see anywhere one could have got in. I see no droppings anywhere and non of the insulation has been moved around. Should I put some mouse poison or glue boards up there?

well Guys

Its been a couple days and I still hear a noise off and on. I have had snap traps down with peanut butter since yesterday and nothing in there. Im at my wits end. My wife thinks im hearing things and I had my dad over today to have a look and Im pretty sure he thinks Im going crazy.

I had the roofer over on Monday to take the measurements for the new roof im getting next week, would he have caused debris to be loosen and fall?

I know Its driving me crazy

If nothing come to the traps with peanut butter is it safe to say that nothing is up there?

I had a very similar situation years ago. Could hear something scampering along the ceiling joists, just every 2 or 3 days, usually in early evenings. Snap-traps caught nothing, so I put in a large live trap, again with peanut butter. That night there was a loud commotion up there, and I went up to find a very large squirrel bouncing off the walls of the trap, frantically trying to get out. Turns out he managed to squeeze through a softball-sized opening between the garage and house attic that I never gave much thought to. And he got into the garage attic through the scuttle access that I usually left open, for moving things in and out of the storage area up there--he managed to run up a nearby tall storage shelf unit and then jump (3 ft.+/-) across a bare wall to get in.

I was at a house yesterday that had a roof leak. Seems they had a raccoon eat a hole and get into a small roof area above a dormer. Crtitter Rider guy was there today and said it was up in the roof. They set traps and will try and relocate it. Dang animals can do a lot of damage. Right now they are around 4 grand deep in raccoon leavings.

well I went back up today after not hearing a noise and guess what.........

A mouse. He was dead in the snap trap. Im glad it was a mouse and not anything else. They are coming tomorrow to do the roof And we are getting all new attic vents so hopefully that will cure the problem if thats where the little Bugger's were getting in.

Should I leave the traps up there for a few more days? Im assuming that there could be more.

I have a nice little treat of peanut butter on the trap for them, come on in boys lunch is on me...

Jeremy, you did call and report what you trapped to the Wildlife Resource Agency...didn't you? I've heard it's a pretty big fine for trapping with out a license.

J/K, glad it was just a mouse and now you can tell your wife that you are not crazy after all and yes leave the traps out for a few more days. There's never just one...usually.

olddog/newtrick

You scared me for a second,lol. Believe me I made sure to show her the little bugger to show her how "crazy" I was. Oh if you call the cops on me I'll just say that he threaten me with a knife and I had to kill him with a snap trap,lol:p

Cheers Olddog/newtrick :) ( sorry I never got your name )

Loose siding, unsealed holes under the house and in the attic where all the plumbing and wiring was run through the bottom plates, is a far more likly area there getting in then the roof.

Back