A/C placement

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kentannenbaum

Reaction score
I've got a typical enclosed space under a staircase adjacent to our living room. There's a full sized door to the space. I'd like to cut into the outside wall of the house and place an A/C in a sleeve, then duct across the 3.5 ft
width of that enclosed space into the living room. Do you see any reason to NOT enclose the A/C in that way? Thanks, Ken

For those of you who've checked this out, I'm proceeding with the doing it. I've thought about it carefully; since the A/C vents to the outside and cutting through the exterior wall is not a difficult task, plus the duct run is short, I see no problem. But that's just me. Thanks.

I must admit having only experience in the installation of split, mini-split, and the normally placed window AC system. With that in mind I can't speak with familiarity to all the issues that a project such as your's might present. The fact that there is to be a 3 1/2 foot sleeve would make me believe that the actual AC unit would be at the conditioned end with the sleeve providing a hot air exhaust. -The alternative would require a long reach for the unit's controls-. There are two items of concern that were not mentioned in your post:
#1, How or where will the unit's condensate drain.
#2, Will the sleeve be large enough in height/width to efficiently accommodate any side vents the the unit's cabinet may have. These would normally be open to fresh air on the exterior. Contacting the systems tech support may be a cheap but valuable call to make prior to cutting a hole in the wall. Regardless, best of luck. I would be interested in knowing how your finished project performs on a hot and humid day, maybe even a photo.

How did this end up? We have a simulare senario that I need to tackle.

Hey Steve, didn't want to leave you hanging. Actually, it hasn't happened...yet. The is at a house we use on weekends and occasionally rent out. It hasn't happened yet because our experience is that A/C is not needed except for the rare hot days. It's in Catskill, NY. My goal's been to improve the house in all possible ways and I have the framing skills to do it. Whether we need it or if the money's not better spent on a new shed (or other things), that's another question.

Back