Difficulty Applying Second Coat

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rwh56

Reaction score
I have never been so frustrated painting a door:

Old cedar paneled front door. Stripped down to the first coat. Applied latex primer without any issues. Next day applied latex semi gloss neutral Weatherbeater mistakenly believing it was white paint. Seems dry after a few hours. Temperature is just at 60 degrees, humidity around 55 percent. Apply Behr gloss white acrylic. Using Purdy nylon/polyester bristle brushes. Paint goes on at first brush stoke and then a second or third stroke seems to pull the fresh coat of paint away. The door looks awful. Wife reads online that semi gloss paint may require sanding to remove the sheen. I scrape off the coat I just applied. Then I sanded with 100 grit aluminum oxide, achieving only very slight dulling. I apply the gloss paint a second time and still the same problem.

I have painted many doors, windows, trim and walls in my life. More lazy handyman than any kind of expert. But I have never run into this problem.

But I need to solve this problem. Door needs to look nice for Thanksgiving guests. And the weather in New Jersey wont stay warm for long.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rob

Not sure what is happening but it sounds like oil or oil paint is contaminating your door. I have seen this cause a smearing of the latex paint as you try to apply it.

Here is what I have done ...

1. Make sure all is dry
2. Generally sand the surface and remove the dust
3. Using a green scrubby pad, rub the entire surface with acetone to neutralize and remove the oil
4. The acetone will also liquify the latex paint, so do not rub hard or the surface will get messy
5. Once dry, re-sand the surface smooth
6. Paint with KILZ primer to seal any remaining contamination
7. Let dry completely, then paint with your final Behr gloss acrylic.

Why oh why are you applying GLOSS paint when the wife does not even want a semi gloss finish??:confused::confused:

If you're sanding with 100 grit, I would suggest that you then sand with 150 and or, 220 and use some 400 between coats.

Your door may be cooler than you think it is. Temps in our area are only above sixty for a couple of hours these days. If your door is in the shade - and it is outdoors all night - it may not come up to a decent temperature by the time you're working on it.

Back